Salisbury Cotton Mills
Salisbury History & Art Trail
Railroad & Industrial
Religious fervor provided the impetus for establishing Rowan County's post-Civil War textile industry. On November 9, 1887, during a three-week revival held in the Farmer's Warehouse on this site, the Reverend R.G. Pearson, a visiting evangelist, called for the building of the factories to provide employment. The momentum of the revival led the Reverend Francis J. Murdoch and other local leaders to organize the Salisbury Cotton Mills.
The cornerstone was laid on August 2, 1888. By 1900 Rowan County had become a leading producer of textiles.
Erected 2006 by Salisbury History & Art Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is August 2, 1888.
Location. 35° 40.048′ N, 80° 28.318′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Rowan County. Marker is at the intersection of West Fisher Street and South Church Street, on the right when traveling west on West Fisher Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 S Church St, Salisbury NC 28144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.