J.C. Deagan Tubular Bell Tower Chimes
"The principle use of the Deagan Tower Chimes is…to carry the message of Christ and Christianity beyond the walls of the church building into the hearts and homes and homes of the entire community"
The J.C. Deagan Company of Chicago, Illinois was known to manufacture the finest church tower chimes (sometimes known as Carillons) ever produced the first genuinely musical tower chimes to be electronically operated. J.C. Deagan Tower Chimes were not produced in a foundry but were precisiono tuned musical instruments made with the highest quality materials and craftsmanship. J.C. Deagan Company produced 441 systems between 1917 and 1958, of which today fewer than 125 remain operational.
St. Johns' Lutheran Church's 16 note tower chimes are locoated in the corner tower at the intersection of East Innes and Church Street. The chimes were decicated to the Glory of God on September 23, 1931 and in recent years the Chimes have gone through periods of non operation. St. John's Tower Chimes were restored to near original operating condition and rededicated June 12, 2011. The system now operates with a Westminster Clock Chime device, paper
Note: Also in the same tower resides a 1,080 lbs. #10 bell from The McShane Foundry in Baltimore Maryland purchased by Pastor R.V. Lanier February 16, 1891 for 12 cents a pound.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Communications. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 16, 1891.
Location. 35° 40.11′ N, 80° 28.255′ W. Marker is in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Rowan County. Marker is at the intersection of North Church Street and West Innes Street, on the left when traveling north on North Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W Innes St, Salisbury NC 28144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Salisbury Rotary Club (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hinton Rowan Helper (about 400 feet away); Boone Trail 1769 (about 400 feet away); Maxwell Chambers House (about 500 feet away); Salisbury Cotton Mills (about 500 feet away); Cotton Mills Corner (about 500 feet away); The Travelers' Club (about 600 feet away); William Valentine (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salisbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.