Presbyterian Church of Upsala
In October 1890, the younger generation of Swedish immigrants, whose parents had been persuaded to settle here by Henry Sanford, organized a Swedish Presbyterian congregation along American lines. In 1891 the congregation was enrolled in the South Florida Presbytery.
The original structure was erected in 1892, and was used continuously until it was moved from its previous location, closer to the street corner, when the new building was constructed in 1985.
The first pastor of the Upsala Church was Rev. John Frederick Sundell, who also organized the Lake Mary Church, two miles south of here in 1894. It is popularly believed the town of Lake Mary was named for Rev. Sundell’s wife, Mary Amelia.
The Upsala Church was probably named after Upsala University near Stockholm, Sweden, one of the oldest universities in Europe.
Erected by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 28° 47.223′ N, 81°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mayfair Country Club (approx. half a mile away); Upsala Swedish Community (approx. half a mile away); Belair Historical Marker (approx. one mile away); Martin Luther King Jr. (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Martin Luther King Jr. (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary (approx. 1.9 miles away); Lake Mary Historic Sites (approx. 2 miles away); Goldsboro (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Also see . . .
1. Upsala Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on June 24, 2021.)
2. Swedish Club of Orlando. (Submitted on June 23, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.