Near Hugoton in Grant County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Mormon Battalion at Cimarron Springs (Wagon Bed Springs)
On 19 September 1846, the more than 500 men and officers of the Mormon Battalion arrived here. These Mormons (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) had volunteered to fight in the war with Mexico, enlisting at Council Bluffs, Iowa, while en route to the Rocky Mountains. The battalion's arrival at this site marked the completion of the first third of its 2,000-mile trek to San Diego, California.
Thirsty and weary from a forced march of 50 miles across "one of the most dreary deserts that ever man saw," where no moisture but contaminated and dirty rainwater could be found, the little army finally located sufficient water to quench its thirst under the sand of this dry creek bed. With water to drink, plenty of grass for livestock, and buffalo chips to fuel fires, man and beast refreshed themselves before continuing the long march.
Erected 1982 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Kansas State Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, Mexican-American. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1846.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wagon Bed Springs (a few steps from this marker); Jedediah Strong Smith (a few steps from this marker); Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.9 miles away); Grant County Shop (Adobe) Building (approx. 11.9 miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 12 miles away); Dan C. Sullivan (approx. 12.4 miles away).
More about this marker. One of a series of Mormon Battalion markers in Kansas.
Also see . . . Mormon Battalion Association. Modern commemoration organization perpetuating Mormon Battalion history. Details about personnel and events occurring on the Battalion's march from Iowa to California, then 'home.'
The modern Mormon Battalion Association was established in the late 1940s when LDS President David O. McKay asked his Huntsville neighbor, Fred M. Reese, to form an organization to hold the Mormon Battalion "in honorable remembrance." Incorporated in 1954, we are a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization. A person does not have to be a descendant of the original Battalion to belong to the modern Mormon Battalion Association.(Submitted on June 22, 2021, by Bud Henson of Midland, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2021, by Bud Henson of Midland, Michigan. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on June 24, 2021, by Bud Henson of Midland, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2021, by Bud Henson of Midland, Michigan. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.