Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
These buildings are the remnants of Bonhomie, a company-owned sawmill town that thrived from 1915 to 1938. The Tatum Lumber Company established a mill here in 1915, drawing laborers and their families to the area. During its height, Bonhomie included a doctor's office, church, school, and train station. Once the virgin forests were depleted, however, the workers were forced to find work elsewhere, and Bonhomie became an extinct town. In 2000, Molpus Timberlands Management began restoring Bonhomie.
Erected 2008 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 31° 17.212′ N, 89° 18.7′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is on Bonhomie Road, 0.2 miles south of W.S.F. Tatum Boulevard, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. William Carey College (approx. 0.9 miles away); John L. Sullivan (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mount Olive Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); "The Civil Rights Church" (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hi-Hat Club (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Last Bare Knuckle Prize Fight (approx. 2.6 miles away); Hattiesburg (approx. 2.9 miles away); Veterans of All Wars Monument (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 256 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 26, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.