San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established in 1842. Incorporated January 16, 1844 by the Methodist Church. Named for John Wesley (1703-1791), the founder of Methodism. A successful school for a brief period. United with the University of San Augustine in 1847 to form the University of East Texas, which shortly expired.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 7647.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 16, 1844.
Location. 31° 31.698′ N, 94° 6.06′ W. Marker is in San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 21) east of South Clark Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Matthew Cartwright (approx. ¼ mile away); George Louis Crocket (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Home of Col. Stephen William Blount Site of the First Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); United Methodist Historic Site No. 216 (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); An Early Presbyterian Church in Texas (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 25, 2023, by Jeff Leichsenring of Garland, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.