Terre Haute in Vigo County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wabash and Erie Canal
This marker denotes the site of one of the canal’s dry dock areas as depicted on 1854 City of Terra Haute map.
Dry dock areas along the canal were used to construct and/or repair canal barges and boats.
Constructed mostly of wood requiring constant care, canal costs for maintenance were staggering as fluctuations in Indiana weather (spring floods, drought in the summer, and ice in the winter) hampered traffic and reduced revenue, while at the same time increased competition from railroads doomed the canal’s existence.
Although only operational until 1860, the canal was constructed allowing farmers, loggers, wagon makers, and others to export grain, lime, pork, logs, and whiskey, importing coffee, salt, manufactured goods and settlers to the region.
Begun on February 22, 1832, in FortWayne, Indiana, the canal was a monumental project which included excavating the canal bed, building reservoirs, and erecting locks, aqueducts and a towpath.
Completed in July 1853, it stretched 468 miles from Toledo, Ohio on Lake Erie, to Evansville, Indiana, on the Ohio River. Amid great celebration, the
Thomas Holdsworth Blake - resident trustee from 1847 to 1879.
Thomas Dowling - resident trustee from 1849 to 1876.
The official end of the Wabash and Erie Canal occurred when Dowling conducted an auction of all canal boats lands by the Trustees at the Vigo County Courthouse, on February 24-25, 1876.
Erected 2016 by Indiana State University.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 22, 1832.
Location. 39° 28.24′ N, 87° 24.923′ W. Marker is in Terre Haute, Indiana, in Vigo County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Street and North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling west on Chestnut Street. The marker stands in Parking Lot “K” on the campus of Indiana State University. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 423 N 2nd St, Terre Haute IN 47807, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home Packing Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Memorial - Vigo County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel Richard W. ThompsonClaude L. Herbert (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War I War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War II War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Medal of Honor Recipient (approx. 0.3 miles away); Operation Iraqi Freedom - War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Terre Haute.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2021, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.