Beaumont in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Beaumont Library District
Celebrating 100 Years of Service, 1911-2011
January 1909: The Beaumont Woman's Club votes to work for the establishment of a library.
March 11, 1909: The Club appoints a five-member committee to investigate the matter of opening a reading room.
November 1909: The club raises $71.00 and collects 81 books by holding a Tag Day and an evening book party where the guest dressed like the characters of well known books.
August 12, 1911: The Gateway Gazette reports the Beaumont Township was "made a library district by a two-to-one vote, the result being 59 for and 27 against".
August 30, 1911: The first library trustee meeting held.
October 1, 1911: Informal opening of the Beaumont Library District located in the two rooms on the ground floor of the Beaumont Bank building on 5th and Egan. The Bank of Beaumont will host the library until construction of a permanent site is complete.
May 6, 1913: A resolution of the library trustees to accept Andrew Carnegie's gift of $10,000 for the building of a library. The Beaumont community agrees to provide the building site, cover operating costs and open the library to the community.
September 5, 1913: An overwhelming majority of voters selects the southeast corner of 8th and California as the ideal location for the library.
February 12, 1914: Construction officially begins with the laying of the cornerstone.
June 16, 1914: New Carnegie library building opens.
Year 1928: The reading room has been thoroughly renovated and the ground improved. The Beaumont library has become known as one of the best equipped in the county with the quality of its accessions equal to any.
Year 1934: A Federal Works Progress Administration sponsored mural is placed at the top of the stairs.
Year 1966: An addition is made to the back of the library and houses the information desk, offices, and adult collections.
Year 1978: A new façade for the roof is designed and erected to solve problems with water drainage.
Year 1981: "The Friends of the Library” is organized. This hard-working group generates financial aid to the library through book sales and other activities. In 1981, the friends purchased a computer which will aid greatly in record keeping. Also purchased were a TV and VCR for use in the children's section.
Year 1981: The “Heritage Room” is added on to the library with a gift from the Laura May Stewart Fund.
Year 1990: Board of Trustees appoints its first professional
Year 1992: First electronic catalog is made available to the public.
Year 2008: An elevator is added to the library to meet ADA requirements and the second floor restored.
Year 2008: 1978 roof façade is removed and the original parapet roofline is restored.
Year 2009: First self-check machines installed.
Year 2010: New drought tolerant landscaping installed.
August 12, 2011: The Beaumont Library District celebrates 100 years of service.
Erected 2011 by Beaumont Library District.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries series list.
Location. 33° 55.924′ N, 116° 58.859′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, California, in Riverside County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and California Avenue, on the left when traveling west on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 E 8th St, Beaumont CA 92223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saahatpa (approx. 2.9 miles away); Banning Woman's Club Clubhouse (approx. 5.9 miles away); Yucaipa Adobe (approx. 9.3 miles away); Yucaipa Rancheria (approx. 9.4 miles away); Transpolar Record Flight Site (approx. 10.2 miles away); Soviet Transpolar Landing Site (approx. 10.4 miles away); Estudillo Mansion (approx. 10½ miles away); Camp Mill Creek (approx. 10.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 125 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California.