St. Marys in Elk County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Weis Stone Buildings
Weis (1805-1877) was born in Alsace and as a small boy moved with his parents to the United States, living first in Baltimore and later in Philadelphia. In 1826 he wed Juliana Weisenberger; their union would endure for 51 years. In September 1844, Weis and his family left Philadelphia during the "Know-Nothing" anti-Catholic riots that were occurring in the eastern cities. They made their way to the new community of Sanct Marienstadt, which had been settled two years earlier by other German Catholics seeking religious tolerance. Weis brought along a substantial store of goods and established himself as a merchant in the new settlement. Within a year of his arrival, he built this stone
About 1865, Weis erected the corner building which served as the harness shop of Albert Weis. It was later the Weis Funeral Home and also housed the local Red and White Grocery Store. Red and White stores once dotted the country and were among the first franchised grocery chains. The corner building is somewhat more highly detailed than the Weis house of twenty years earlier, incorporating the temple form facade characteristic of the Greek Revival style, with partial returns of the cornice on the front gable end.
Erected by The City of St. Marys.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1844.
Location. 41° 25.598′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 S St Marys St, Saint Marys PA 15857, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Edward C. Meyer (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin House Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Marys (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Decker's Chapel (approx. 1.8 miles away); First State Game Lands (approx. 7.8 miles away); Elk County (approx. 8.7 miles away); Philip P. Bliss (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2021, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2021, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.