Gloucester Downtown Historic District
You are standing at the east end of the Gloucester Downtown Historic District, which extends down Main Street to the historic court circle. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 and includes 57 contributing buildings and 5 contributing archaeological sites.
A Few Notable Buildings
1. Edge Hill House, c. 1750-1770
This structure, located just across Route 14 at this intersection, was built as a home but also served as a store and later a carriage shop. Since 1920, it has housed the Gloucester Woman's Club.
2. Morgan's Drug Store, 1934
Morgan's was one of two pharmacies on Main Street in the early twentieth century. It was operated by L.V. "Happy" Morgan and housed a soda fountain and lunch counter. The drug store closed in 1968.
3. Botetourt Hotel, c. 1774
The Botetourt Hotel is located across from the courthouse circle. It was constructed as an ordinary, or tavern. It became a hotel between 1872 and 1898 and was operated until 1965, when it was purchased by Gloucester County. Today it is restored to its 18th-century style and
4. T.C. Walker House, 1885
This was the home of Thomas Calhoun Walker. Walker was born into slavery, then attended the Hampton Institute, became the first African-American lawyer in Gloucester County, and was influential in helping African Americans in community acquire property.
5. Courthouse Green
The court circle contains six government buildings: the Clayton Building (c. late 1700s and 1823), the Roan Building (1896), the Jail (1873), the Debtor's Prison (c. 1820), the Clerk's Office or Court Annex Building (1956), and the Colonial Courthouse (1766). The Confederate Monument in the center of the court circle was erected in 1889.
Erected by The Fairfield Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 2010.
Location. 37° 24.743′ N, 76° 31.219′ W. Marker is in Gloucester, Virginia, in Gloucester County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Business U.S. 17) and John Clayton Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 3/14), on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6783 Main St, Gloucester VA 23061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.