Safety Harbor in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Safety Harbor Historical Site: Safety Harbor Herald
A.G. Waldron started the town's first newspaper, the Tropical Breeze, in 1915. It ran for approximately one year out of a building located in the northwest corner of what is now John Wilson Park. After the Tropical Breeze ceased publication, the Board of Trade approached a former newspaperman, Alva Ernest (A.E.) Shower and proposed that he take over as publisher.
Renamed the Safety Harbor Herald, the first edition ran in June 1916 and was four pages long. Within a few years, the paper had expanded to between 12 and 16 pages and was unfailingly distributed each Friday morning, even on Christmas Day. The newspaper moved to this location in 1920.
A.E. Shower retired in 1957 and passed away in 1961 at the age of 84. He was considered to be one of the city's most influential pioneers. The paper continued to operate by the Shower family until 1976 when it was purchased by Tarpon Springs City Commissioner Bea Raynard and her husband Ray. Jean and George Graham purchased the paper from Raynard in 1987. The Safety
Erected by Community Redevelopment Agency and the Safety Harbor Museum of Regional History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1916.
Location. 27° 59.452′ N, 82° 41.553′ W. Marker is in Safety Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on Main Street (Florida Route 590) just west of 5th Avenue North, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 509 Main Street, Safety Harbor FL 34695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Safety Harbor Historical Site: The Hotel Frances (within shouting distance of this marker); Safety Harbor Historical Site: First Dedicated Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: 135 4th Avenue North (about 400 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: 136 4th Ave. N. Safety Harbor: "The 1908 Gingerbread House" (about 500 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Safety Harbor Log Cabin (about 600 feet away); Safety Harbor Historical Site: First Town Hall (approx. 0.2 Safety Harbor Historical Site: Baranoff Oak Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Safety Harbor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.