San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Christ Episcopal Church
Episcopalians first worshiped in this Laurel Heights neighborhood in 1907, under the auspices of St. Mark's Church downtown. Christ Episcopal Church was formed in 1911, with the Rev. John D. Ridout as its first rector. In 1913, ground was broken for this Gothic Revival sanctuary, designed by architect Atlee B. Ayres in the spirit of an English parish church. A parish hall and educational building was designed in 1929 by architect John M. Marriot.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 841.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 29° 27.08′ N, 98° 29.832′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Belknap Place and West French Place, on the right when traveling north on Belknap Place. The marker is located on the left side of the front door to the Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 Belknap Place, San Antonio TX 78212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distanceJay Adams House (a few steps from this marker); Roy and Madge Hearne House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Women's Club of San Antonio (approx. 0.2 miles away); David J. and May Bock Woodward House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Otto Koehler House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Committee on Public Safety (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old San Pedro Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); L.B. Clegg House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.