Boston in Suffolk County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Boston Transcript Building
Washington Street was Boston's Newspaper Row, home to all the city dailies into the 1950s. The Boston Evening Transcript, founded in 1830, was the city's first afternoon daily. By 1870, the influential newspaper was the largest in New England and was the paper of Boston's financial and political elite, noted for being "always refined...staunchly Republican."
When the Transcript offices burned in the Great Fire of 1872, prestigious Boston architect Gridley J. F. Bryant was commissioned to design this new site on the publishing corridor. It is typical of his fine large-scale commercial sites.
Erected by The Bostonian Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Disasters. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. 42° 21.408′ N, 71° 3.512′ W. Marker is in Boston, Massachusetts, in Suffolk County. Marker is on Milk Street east of Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boston MA 02109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old South Meeting House (a few steps from this marker); Old South Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Province House (within shouting distance of this marker); Boston Irish Famine Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); 45 Milk Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Spring Lane (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Corner Bookstore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Winthrop Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.