Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Elks Lodge No. 308
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks formed Lodge No. 308 in Grafton on June 29, 1895. This building, erected on the former site of George and Charles R. Lilley's shoe shop, was built in 1913. A fine social affair was held on March 25, 1913 to commemorate its opening with a reception that began at 8 pm and dancing which lasted from 9 pm 2 am.
The three story brick building features an eclectic styling including cast stone trim, quoins, arched and flat window heads, and wall dormers. The basement contained a bar and grill for members adjacent to the meeting room. On the second floor lodgings were available for members to rent, a practice which was discontinued in the 1970s or early 1980s. The main level had an enclosed porch with seating, offices, and a bar and large reception room which was rented out for community and private events.
Elks Lodge No. 308 closed in 2015.
Erected by West Virginia Humanities Council and Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical date for this entry is March 25, 1913.
Location. 39° 20.431′ N, 80° 1.037′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 119) east of Luzadder Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is at the far right of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 East Main Street, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Willard Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); B&O Station (within shouting distance of this marker); B&O Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Grafton (about 400 feet away); Cohen Building (about 600 feet away); St. Augustine Catholic Church (about 700 feet away); Gough Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 29, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.