Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Cohen Building

 
 
Cohen Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, June 21, 2021
1. Cohen Building Marker
Inscription.  
Joseph Cohen purchased this section of the Luzadder plat from Thomas J. McAvay on July 12, 1922 for $30,000. What was once the site of Grafton's first financial institution, the 1870 Citizens Savings Bank, became a branch of the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Store and a candy shop. This was just one of multiple A & P stores in Grafton but it quickly grew to be the largest and expanded into all of the Cohen Building. Other businesses that operated in this building include the Recreation Restaurant and Sport Center, Rite Aid Pharmacy, and Dollar General.

The building stayed in the Cohen family until 2007. In 1938, Joseph sold the structure to his wife Dena charging her just $5 "in consideration of the natural love and affection” he felt for her, according to the deed. She in turn sold to their daughter Hilda D. Barton for $10 in 1967. Upon her death in 1985, Hilda left the building to her husband Julian; it was finally sold to the city by Sanford J. Barton in 2007. Reneman Enterprises has owned the building since 2009.

At one time the second floor was the headquarters for Grafton's Fraternal Order of the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Eagles and according to rumor, there was a speakeasy during Prohibition.
 
Erected by West Virginia Humanities Council and Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is July 12, 1922.
 
Location. 39° 20.447′ N, 80° 1.153′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 119) just west of St. John Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 W Main St, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Augustine Catholic Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gough Building (about 400 feet away); B&O Station (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Grafton (about 400 feet away); The First Campaign (about 500 feet away); Brinkman Block (about 500 feet away); Merchants & Mechanics Savings Bank (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
 
Cohen Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, June 21, 2021
2. Cohen Building Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176216

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024