Near Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Named for Frederick A. Zimmerscheidt who on January 18, 1855 deeded an acre of land to the school trustees for the purpose of building a school. The school served the community from February 1, 1857 until the consolidation with the Columbus Independent School District on April 30, 1948. From 1948 until 1962 the building was used as a meeting place for the "Zimmerscheidt Community Center". It is the only one room school house that remains standing in the State of Texas.
Erected 1980 by Sycamore Camp No. 7 Woodmen of the World.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is January 18, 1855.
Location. 29° 49.599′ N, 96° 32.388′ W. Marker is near Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 109, 0.2 miles south of Zimmerscheidt Road, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located in front of the old school. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2187 FM 109, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Zimmerscheidt School Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Frelsburg (approx. 3.1 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Site of the Town of New Ulm (approx. 5˝ miles away); Mike Muckleroy (approx. 5.7 miles away); Frnka Family Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.