First United Methodist Church
Of San Augustine
The Rev. Littleton Fowler (1803-1846), one of the first Methodist missionaries sent to the Republic of Texas, came to San Augustine in October 1837. Within two weeks, a lot was given across the street from this site, trustees named, money raised, and Augustus Phelps given a contract to erect a Methodist church building. Masonic Lodge officials supervised the laying of the cornerstone on January 17, 1838. The Rev. Fowler and General Thomas J. Rusk addressed the 500 to 800 persons who gathered for the occasion. In his journal, the Rev. Fowler called it the first cornerstone laid for a Protestant church "west of the Sabine River in the infant Republic." It was also hailed as the first cornerstone laid in a foreign mission of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the United States.
Angered when his horse was turned loose while he was in church, Columbus Cartwright in 1897 donated an entire block for a new sanctuary, providing space for hitching horses and parking buggies. The present structure was erected on the donated property by 1911, when the Rev. Littleton Morris Fowler, son of the founder, served as pastor. Methodists have worshiped in
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7604.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is January 17, 1838.
Location. 31° 31.697′ N, 94° 6.423′ W. Marker is in San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on South Liberty Street north of East Market Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 South Liberty St, San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. United Methodist Historic Site No. 216 (a few steps from this marker); Christ Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Louis Crocket (about 400 feet away); Site of the First Methodist Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); Site of Law Office of Kenneth L. Anderson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sam Houston in San Augustine (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Hollis Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The "Red Lander" Office (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 1, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.