Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
In 1911, the Baltimore firm of JD Walsh and Son was contracted to build a new Baltimore & Ohio Passenger Station on land donated by Colonel John T. McGraw
The station was dedicated on August 22, 1911 with a large crowd in attendance. Spectators watched as the first train, the No. 55 driven by Daniel Fisher, pulled into the depot that would at one point welcome thirty-three passenger trains a day. The Grafton station would also be a silent witness to history. Lucky residents were able to catch a glimpse of the richest man in America, John D. Rockefeller, when he stopped in Grafton on December 7, 1915 while on a trip to inspect Fairmont area coal mines. During World War I, soldiers from all over the country bound for Europe came through Grafton and in 1922 President Warren G. Harding addressed a crowd of Grafton residents from the platform of his train car.
Passenger rail to Grafton ended on April 13, 1971.
Erected by West Virginia Humanities Council and Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 13, 1971.
Location. 39° 20.421′ N, 80° 1.075′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (U.S. 119) and Luzadder Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Marker is located at the far right side of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 E Main St, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Willard Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Elks Lodge No. 308 (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); B&O Railroad (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cohen Building (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Grafton (about 400 feet away); St. Augustine Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Gough Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 117 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 2, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.