Grapevine in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Love Chapel Church of God in Christ
Organized in 1930
Love Chapel Church of God in Christ began meeting as a congregation in 1930 at 409 West Wall Street near the Farmer's Gin Company in the area known as "the gin lot." Ella Jackson and Doshie Wright were the first trustees of the church. Members of eleven black families formed the first church body. In 1942, land for a new meeting site was purchased by the members from the Kezzie Higgins family at 300 Turner Road in the neighborhood known as "The Hill." Here Love Chapel remained as a cornerstone of Grapevine's black community for nearly 60 years. The minimal traditional style building was remodeled in 1949 and 1962. In 2001, under the leadership of Pastor Emuel Glenn, the congregation moved to a facility on Dooley Street. On January 20, 2009, the Love Chapel on Turner Road received Historic Landmark Designation by the City of Grapevine. 2009
Erected 2009 by City of Grapevine.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 32° 56.618′ N, 97° 4.556′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Turner Road, Grapevine TX 76051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Benjamin Richard Wall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grapevine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Torian Log Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); "The Prairie Windmill" (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Wallis Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Palace Theatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wall Drug Store (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grapevine.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 2, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.