Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Saint John's Episcopal Church

 
 
Saint John's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 27, 2021
1. Saint John's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  

The earliest Episcopal worship service known to have been held in Columbus occurred in 1848. At that time services were held infrequently, conducted by clergy traveling through the area. The Rev. Hannibal Pratt came to Columbus in 1855, and Saint John's Parish was officially organized and admitted to the Diocese of Texas on April 14,1856.

Worship services for Saint John's parishioners were held in a variety of locations, including the large castle-like home of Robert Robson, the county courthouse, and the Methodist Church. A lot on Milam Street was purchased in 1871 and a church building was constructed by 1874. It was later sold to the Church of Christ.

Property at this site was purchased in 1906 with proceeds from the will of Mrs. Fannie Darden and money raised by the Ladies Guild. A house located here was used first as a rectory and later as a parish house. A new brick church, built with funds willed to the congregation by Mrs. Nannie Thatcher Andrus, was consecrated in 1942 by Bishop Clinton S. Quin.

Charter members of Saint John's included citizens of the Republic of Texas, veterans of the Texas
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Revolution, local civic leaders, and state officials.
 
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4450.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 14, 1856.
 
Location. 29° 42.505′ N, 96° 32.348′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Travis Street and Preston Street, on the right when traveling north on Travis Street. The marker is located in the front yard of the Church near the giant Oak Tree. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 915 Travis Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Jefferson Mansfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Henry Harrison, M.D. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hahn House (about 400 feet away); Harrison-Hastedt House (about 400 feet away); The Columbus Tap Railway (about 400 feet away); Columbus Church of Christ (about 500 feet away); Hancock-Heller Home (about 500 feet away); Old General Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Saint John's Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 27, 2021
2. Saint John's Episcopal Church and Marker
The view of the Saint John's Episcopal Church and marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, June 27, 2021
3. The view of the Saint John's Episcopal Church and marker from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176367

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 29, 2024