Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
In earlier days, this was the site of the mayor's office, city council chambers and Edward Berbig's cobbler shop. Berbig connected Grafton to another significant moment in history, having served in the French army under Napoleon in his youth. The building was erected circa 1880 by Gotlieb Wattle who operated a general store on the first floor while his wife opened the house to entertain young businessmen. The Wattles also owned a saloon on Latrobe Street.
Charles Gough initially worked for the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad before taking ownership of the City Restaurant and Bakery on Latrobe Street in 1894. In 1897, Gough was elected mayor of Grafton at age 31. In 1913, he bought and remodeled this building to accommodate a family apartment house and restaurant and lunchroom.
In the mid 1960s, the building was purchased by Taylor County Post 12 of the American Legion. They installed a bar and dance floor as well as offices and meeting rooms upstairs. The Legion ceased use of the building in the late 2000s.
Erected by West Virginia Humanities Council and Taylor County Historical
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 39° 20.472′ N, 80° 1.226′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 119) just west of St. John Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is to the immediate right of the front door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 57 W Main St, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Merchants & Mechanics Savings Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Brinkman Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Jolliffe Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Loar Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Colerider Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cohen Building (about 400 feet away); St. Augustine Catholic Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.