Lac qui Parle Mission
The Lac qui Parle Mission opened in 1835, a time when Dakota people remained in control of the region and their lives. The missionaries and their families were guests in a land that did not belong to them. The station closed in 1854, the year after the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux was ratified, leaving Dakota people a fragment of their homelands as a reservation within the United States.
This exhibit was begun in 2013-14 by students in a public history course at Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, in collaboration with the Nicollet County Historical Society. It was finished in 2016
Other Places, Other Stories
The Lac qui parle is part of a larger story. We encourage you to visit other places like the Lac qui parle Historical Society, the Chippewa County Historical Society, the Upper and Lower Sioux Agency Historic Sites, Historic Fort Snelling, Traverse des Sioux, the Renville County Historical Society, and the Pond-Dakota Mission Park.
Caption: Artist's conception of the original church
at Lac qui parle by Wyn Greene, 1964.
Erected 2016 by Gustavus Adolphus College; Nicollet County Historical Society; Minnesota Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 45° 1.38′ N, 95° 52.074′ W. Marker is near Churchill, Minnesota, in Chippewa County. Marker is on 140th Avenue Northwest (County Road 32) near 1st Street West (County Road 13), on the right when traveling north. Located at the Lac qui Parle Mission State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Watson MN 56295, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2021, by Connor Olson of Kewaskum, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.