Village of Arlington / The Arlington Heritage
Village of Arlington First a farming community, later a railroad crossroads in southern Hancock County, Arlington was one of the county's earliest settlements. Gen. William Hull opened a trail into the area during the War of 1812 as he crossed Buck Run at Eagle Creek. He led his army to the Blanchard River to establish Ft. Findlay. Robert Hurd owned extensive tracts of land in the area, and his sons were the first recorded settlers, building a log cabin near this site in 1834. The rich farmland and abundant water soon attracted other settlers to the vicinity of "Hurdtown." The name was changed to "Arlington" when the village was formally surveyed in November, 1844.
The Arlington Heritage
1834: First log Cabin,
1844: Village platted with 16 lots,
1854: Asian cholera epidemic, 40 deaths,
1861: Civil War, town men leave,
1892: Village incorporated: Jim Huff, Mayor,
1897: First newspaper, "Arlington Gazette",
1900: First telephone, 1905: First high school graduation class,
1984: Sesquicentennial celebration
Erected 1984 by
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 40° 53.732′ N, 83° 38.862′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on Park Street, in the median. Marker is in the Village Park at the east edge of town. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Park Street, Arlington OH 45814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Shipwreck History (approx. 2.4 miles away); Historic Bell Tower (approx. 4.2 miles away); Williamstown (approx. 4.2 miles away); Johnny Appleseed (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mt. Blanchard Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Hull’s Trail 1812 (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 32 times this year. Last updated on July 4, 2021, by Robert Baughman of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.