Near Mount Savage in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Ignatius Church
Mass was first celebrated in Mt. Savage on this spot in 1793 by Rev. Stephen Theodore Badin, at the home of Archibald Arnold. Father Badin was the first Priest to be ordained in the United States.
About 1825 St. Ignatius Church was built on this site and served the early pioneers until being replaced by St. Patrick's in 1863.
Erected 1997 by Wamba Caravan 89 Order of Alhambra.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1793.
Location. 39° 42.367′ N, 78° 52.36′ W. Marker is near Mount Savage, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection of Mile Lane Northwest and Glen Savage Farm Road, on the left when traveling east on Mile Lane Northwest. Marker is on the immediate right side after entering the north entrance to St. Patrick's Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Savage MD 21545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Our Dead Are Not Unknown Soldiers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Ignatius Stone (approx. ¾ mile away); St Patrick School Monument Mount Savage Iron Works (approx. 0.8 miles away); In Honor of the Sons and Daughters of Mount Savage (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mount Savage In The Great War (approx. 0.8 miles away); On This Site in 1844 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Faidley Field (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Savage.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.