Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Sulphur Springs
Established in 1850 by the Rev. Pleas B. Bailey, this Methodist congregation erected the first church building in Sulphur Springs about 1852 on a site in the "Spring Lot" which surrounded the town's mineral springs. The property was purchased from Dr. Owen S. Davis, a charter member of the church and founder of the town of Sulphur Springs. The Rev. J. D. Lynch served as the fellowship's first resident pastor. The Methodists shared their original meeting place with the Baptist Church, founded in 1859. Delegates meeting here in 1867 organized the Trinity Conference, which later became the North Texas Conference of the Methodist Church.
In 1870 the Methodists sold their building to the Baptists and the newly-formed Christian Church and moved to a larger frame structure on this property, purchased from William J. Johnson. A brick church building was erected here in 1893-1894. It was replaced by the present edifice, the fifth building occupied by this fellowship, constructed in 1917 during the pastorate of the Rev. W. D. Thompson.
Active in civic, cultural, and educational activities, this congregation supported Central College,
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7309.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 33° 8.362′ N, 95° 36.059′ W. Marker is in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (State Highway 154) and Atkins Street, on the right when traveling north on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Church Street, Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hopkins County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City National Bank (about 400 feet away); Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War (about 400 feet away); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (about 400 feet away); Sulphur Springs Loan and Building Association (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs (about 800 feet away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.