Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
One of Columbus' first downtown commercial structures built here in 1837, housed a doctor's family and office from 1850 to 1866. John Rosenfield bought the property in 1872 and about 1896 erected this building. A fine example of a turn of the century commercial storefront, it features first and second floor 4-bay facades, terra cotta ornamentation, front wooden sash windows with transoms, and buff brick construction. Various businesses have occupied the building.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994
Owned by Charles and Clara Klein, 1928-1978. The Kleins operated a clothing store here and lived upstairs with their children Evelyn, Maxine. and Herbert.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4351.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
Location. 29° 42.447′ N, 96° 32.439′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Milam Street near Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1004 Milam Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Brunson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Hancock-Heller Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Stone House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbus State Bank (about 400 feet away); The Columbus Tap Railway (about 400 feet away); William Menefee (about 400 feet away); Colorado County (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.