“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Old Post Chapel

Old Post Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 2, 2021
1. Old Post Chapel Marker
Inscription.  God of our fathers, whose almighty hand / Leads forth in beauty all the starry band / Of shining worlds in splendor through the skies / Our grateful songs before Thy throne arise. — United States Army Hymn / Lyrics by Daniel C. Roberts, music by George W. Warren, 1888

This Gothic Revival chapel built in 1864 was the first house of worship built by the U.S. Army at the Presidio. It was built with the assistance of the San Francisco Episcopal Diocese and the Book of Common Prayer was used at its services. In the nineteenth century, many officers were Episcopalians. The troops were often evangelical Protestants or Roman Catholics. In 1862, the Army authorized the first Jewish chaplains.

A larger chapel, today the Interfaith Center, was built in 1932 near the National Cemetery a half mile west from here. This chapel then became the Roman Catholic Chapel of Our Lady. In 1952, the building was lengthened and in the 1970s it was remodeled to accommodate changes in Roman Catholic ritual that had the priest face the congregation when saying Mass. A cross in the patio commemorates the dedication of the Presidio by
Old Post Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 2, 2021
2. Old Post Chapel Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Spanish Franciscan priests on September 17, 1776. No longer a Catholic church, the chapel is available for weddings, memorials and meetings.

Top row, left to right:
• The Gothic Revival post chapel about 1868. Park Archives, Eadweard Muybridge
• For many years the wood chapel was covered with ivy. Robert W Bowen Family Collection
• At an unknown date stained glass windows were added to the board and batten chapel. Park Archives
• The Catholic chapel at Easter time before remodeling. The wall behind the altar was replaced with a large window looking out into the forest that allows natural light into the chapel. Park Archives
Right: Chapel Expansion
• The chapel undergoing expansion in 1952. Park Archives
• Reflecting modern California indoor-outdoor living, a glass wall and door were added to the west side of the building facing an enclosed patio for after-Mass socializing. This "opened up" the previously closed box of the Victorian chapel. Charity Vargas
Erected by National Park Service and The Presidio Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion
Front view of the chapel image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, July 2, 2021
3. Front view of the chapel
Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 37° 47.841′ N, 122° 27.498′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is at the intersection of Moraga Avenue and Mesa Street, on the right when traveling east on Moraga Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45 Moraga Avenue, San Francisco CA 94129, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bachelor Officers' Quarters: Pershing Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); At Home in the Nineteenth Century Army (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); North West Corner of Original Presidio (about 400 feet away); Outpost of an Empire (about 400 feet away); Pershing Square (about 500 feet away); The Alameda (about 600 feet away); Ammunition Magazine (about 700 feet away); Sixth Army Headquarters (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 6, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021