Built as the home of Daniel English, a local architect-builder who was responsible for the construction of the Jefferson and Clarion County Court Houses. After 1897 it was home to William Shields (1859-1935), a Brookville grocer active in supplying provisions to lumber camps along the North Fork Creek and the Clarion River. His former store stands to the immediate right. Shields also served as Burgess of the Borough and manager of the Brookville Dairy and Creamery Co. The second story bay window was added during the occupancy of the Shield's [sic] family. Restored in 1985 by Attorney John G. Achille.
Erected by Historic Brookville, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 41° 9.65′ N, 79° 5.007′ W. Marker is in Brookville, Pennsylvania, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 322) east of White Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 379 Main Street, Brookville PA 15825, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carrier-Shields Store (here, next to this marker); McCracken-Fetzer-McKinley Building
Also see . . . Brookville PA National Register Historic District Nomination. (Submitted on July 6, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.