Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Originally a modest one-story cottage built about 1867 by Phocian Tate. Sold in 1887 to A. Senftenberg, merchant, who added second story and porches with Victorian ornamentation. In 1900 Kenneth Brandon bought home and extended northeast section. Most of early features still remain. Of interest is basement built of Columbus-made brick. In 1968 Magnolia Homes Tour bought house to restore it as a museum, with period furnishings.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5205.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 29° 42.396′ N, 96° 32.539′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is on Walnut Street (U.S. 90) 0.1 miles west of Bowie Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located in front of the building by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 616 Walnut Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ilse-Rau House (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Columbus (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Railway Hospital (about 400 feet away); Townsend-West House (about 500 feet away); Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the American Declaration of Independence (about 500 feet away); Brick Stone House (about 500 feet away); Columbus State Bank (about 500 feet away); Brunson Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.