W.F. Clark Bank Building
In the days before national banking laws, private banks were found in many communities. William F. Clark established a banking house in 1869 and built this building as its home three years later. Clark's bank closed in 1879; in 1881 Ira Fuller opened a bank here which eventually became the National Bank of Brookville. During construction, the newspaper referred to the building as, "the finest bank building in this section of the State, with assets of around $100,000." The word "BANK" is still just visible in the pediment at the center of the cornice above the storefront.
Erected by Historic Brookville, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 41° 9.64′ N, 79° 4.937′ W. Marker is in Brookville, Pennsylvania, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 322) east of White Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 313 Main Street, Brookville PA 15825, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street (a few steps from this marker); Henderson Tin Shop
Also see . . . Brookville PA National Register Historic District Nomination. (Submitted on July 7, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.