Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Built in 1887 by Henry Ilse, a farmer, rancher, saloon owner. In symmetrical Victorian style, house is constructed of cypress, with pine floors and jigsaw decorations. It contains three fireplaces with marble mantels. Roof is made of stamped metal rectangles. Contractors were Jacob and Lewis Wirtz.
Ilse family home until 1954, house was purchased in 1965 and restored by Mr. and Mrs. R.F. Rau in Empire and Victorian manner.
Since purchased by Raymond Rau family in 1965, the structure has been known as "Raumonda".
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2660.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 29° 42.379′ N, 96° 32.515′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Bowie Street and Walnut Street (U.S. 90), on the right when traveling south on Bowie Street. The marker is located in front of the house by the street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tate-Senftenberg-Brandon Home (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Columbus (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the American Declaration of Independence (about 400 feet away); Columbus State Bank (about 400 feet away); Brick Stone House (about 400 feet away); Site of Railway Hospital (about 400 feet away); Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building (about 400 feet away); Townsend-West House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.