Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Allegany County Library
Cumberland Free Public Library
Name of Cumberland Free Public Library changed to Allegany County Library July 1, 1960
1798 First public school in Western Maryland incorporated under Act of 1798 as "Visitors of Allegany County School."
1824 School name changed to "Trustees of Allegany County School" by act of 1824. The popular name was "The Allegany County Academy"
1849 The present building was erected by popular subscription.
1929 The school - 121 years old - was closed.
March 9, 1934 Building leased in perpetuity by the County Commissioners to the Trustees of the Cumberland Free Public Library.
June 5, 1934 The Cumberland Free Public Library then ten years old was moved from Greene Street to this building.
June 19, 1934 The library was officially opened by his Excellency Honorable Albert C. Ritchie, Governor of Maryland
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1815.
Location. 39° 39.064′ N, 78° 46.01′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Parade Ground of Fort Cumberland (a few steps from this marker); Allegany County (a few steps from this marker); On this Site Originally Stood the Headquarters of George Washington (a few steps from this marker); President Washington's Last Visit - 1794 (within shouting distance of this marker); Allegany County Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fort Proper (within shouting distance of this marker); Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,066 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.