Merritt Island in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Back On Top
Going Back to Rockets from Shuttle
NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) rocket utilizes components from Apollo, Space Shuttle and newly developed spacecraft hardware. Built to go farther than ever before, the SLS's first mission will be to explore a near-Earth asteroid in the mid-2020s.
The Space Launch System Includes:
• Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle is capable of transporting four crew members beyond low-Earth orbit, providing a safe habitat from launch through landing and recovery.
• Solid Rocket Boosters Standing 17 stories tall and burning approximately six tons of fuel every second, each booster generates more thrust than 14 four-engine jumbo commercial airliners.
• RS-25 Engines Propulsion for the SLS core stage will be provided by four engines upgraded from the space shuttle program.
Exploration Mission-1 , currently targeted for 2018, will be the first flight atop the Space Launch System (SLS). During the mission, an unscrewed Orion will travel to a stable orbit around the moon.
The Space Launch System rocket carrying Orion will measure 200 feet (61m) by 27.5 feet (8.4 m) and will contain liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen to feed the rocket’s RS-25 engines.
Erected by Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Exploration.
Location. 28° 31.454′ N, 80° 40.904′ W. Marker is in Merritt Island, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Space Commerce Way and NASA Parkway West, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located within the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 NASA Pkwy W, Merritt Island FL 32953, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mars Exploration Rover (here, next to this marker); Orion (a few steps from this marker); SATAN Tracking Antenna (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); NASA’s Jet Set (about 300 feet away); Swords Into Plowshares (about 400 feet away); Aiming at the Heavens (about 500 feet away); Shooting the Moon, Dreaming of Stars (about 500 feet away); Delta II: By The Numbers (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Merritt Island.
Also see . . .
1. Orion. (Submitted on July 9, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
2. Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. (Submitted on July 9, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.