The First Saint Joseph Cathedral
This base and fluted columns are from the interior of the first St. Joseph Cathedral which stood on this site from 1849 until it was torn down in 1923. This base and column pieces were discovered in excavations under the Cathedral during the 1996 restoration.
This plaque is erected in loving memory of those pioneering Catholics - clergy, religious and laity who laid the foundation for our church in this area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 40° 3.997′ N, 80° 43.185′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. Marker is on 13th Street just east of Eoff Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Eoff St, Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dr. John C. Hupp House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Board of Trade and Court Theatre (about 400 feet away); First United Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Charles W. Russell House
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.