After many years of hard work in Eldred Township, farmer John McCracken retired to Brookville in 1864 at the age of 60 and assumed control of the Union Hotel (southwest corner of Main and White). In 1868, McCracken began construction of a three-story commercial building right across the street from his hotel. This building, the McCracken Block as it was originally named, featured two street level storefronts and a second-floor balcony and bay window.
The third floor of the building is home to McCracken Hall, Brookville's earliest surviving public auditorium. Containing a full stage, scenery rigging, and a ballroom, McCracken Hall was the host site to many performances and formal balls before the advent of radio, movies, and television. In 1885, the local Methodist congregation used the auditorium space for worship during the construction of their new church.
The McCracken Building saw much commercial use, with its two storefronts being occupied by a variety of different tenants over time. Notably, the western storefront became home to Fetzer Brothers Hardware, a Main Street fixture that was to last over half a century in the same
Some time after the closing of Fetzer Brothers Hardware, Dr. Wm. Mark McKinley purchased the building and remodeled it for office and professional use. Known today as Landmark Square, the building underwent an extensive remodel in 1984 as part of the Brookville Main Street Project.
[Photo captions, clockwise from top right, read]
McCracken Building in 1972, [p]rior to the Remodel
1942 Photograph of Parks' Market which Occupied the Eastern Storefront of the Building
Interior of Fetzer Brothers Hardware, circa 1907
Photograph of the McCracken Building (far right) from the Western End of Main Street, circa 1910
Erected by Historic Brookville, Inc., Jeff Co History Center, Brookville Area Chamber, Jeff Co Hotel Tax Cmte, DCNR, PA Lumber Heritage Region, and PA Great Outdoors.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 41° 9.662′ N, 79° 5.003′ W. Marker is in Brookville, Pennsylvania, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 322) and White Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroad House (a few steps from this marker); Carrier-Shields Store (a few steps from this marker); English-Shields House (a few steps from this marker); Brookville Beginnings (within shouting distance of this marker); McCracken-Fetzer-McKinley Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Carrier-Humphrey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward B. Henderson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad House Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookville.
Also see . . . Borough of Brookville PA: History. (Submitted on July 9, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 9, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.