Warwood Fire Department No. 11
This historical landmark was built and dedicated on May 30, 1923. Warwood was annexed to the city of wheeling on January 1, 1920, despite the Warwood citizens vote against annexation. In response to this negative vote, the city built this fire station at a cost of $30,000.00 and purchased a pumper truck in order to show the citizens it was committed to provide public services to Warwood.
This firehouse, which is strategically located in the middle of Warwood's boundaries, served its citizens for over half a century, the fire department moved its operations to Richland Avenue in 1974. After decommissioned, the firehouse was used for storage until purchased by the Fitzsimmons Family and renovated as law offices in 1994.
Earl Fitzsimmons, a volunteer fireman, was among the earliest residents of Warwood and lived on North 19th Street, Earl and his wife Sarah's youngest son of eight children, Robert J. Fitzsimmons, a life-long resident of Warwood, was superintendent of the renovations, Robert Patrick Fitzsimmons son of Robert J. and Patricia Fitzsimmons, purchased the building on January 1, 1994. Valput
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Landmarks. A significant historical date for this entry is January 1, 1920.
Location. 40° 7.071′ N, 80° 41.931′ W. Marker is in Wheeling, West Virginia, in Ohio County. It is in Warwood. Marker is on Warwood Avenue (West Virginia Route 2) just north of North 16th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1609 Warwood Ave, Wheeling WV 26003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warwood (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Warwood Richland District Honor Roll (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elizabeth "Betty" Zane McLaughlin Clark (approx. 1.6 miles away in Ohio); Confederate Cannon and Historic Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away in Ohio); Civil War Cannon (approx. 1.6 miles away in Ohio); Walnut Grove Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away in Ohio); Elizabeth Zane (approx. 1.7 miles away in Ohio); Martins Ferry Pioneers (approx. 1.7 miles away in Ohio). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wheeling.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.