Grafton in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
St. Augustine Catholic Church
St. Augustine was the first church built in Grafton, to serve the many Irish Catholics who had come to work on the railroad. The first church building was built in 1857 on land donated by the heirs of Wilford Fetterman. Reverend Father James Cunningham, Grafton's first priest, persuaded the Fetterman family to give the land to the church as well as the land on Route 50 for the Catholic Cemetery.
The small frame church was financed through donations from the congregation and Reverend Father Henry Malone paid for the bell with his own money. This bell stills hangs in the bell tower of what is now the third St. Augustine building. The original church was used as both house of worship and school until a new church building was constructed in 1873. The 1857 structure continued as the school building until it was torn down in 1898.
The present St. Augustine Church was built in 1922. The sanctuary features a series of stunning stained glass windows made by the Tyrol Art Glass Company in Innsbruck, Austria. The windows on the left side of the sanctuary depict the Gospels while the right side windows depict the Epistles.
Erected by West Virginia Humanities Council and Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 39° 20.508′ N, 80° 1.151′ W. Marker is in Grafton, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is on West Washington Street just west of St. John Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 W Washington St, Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Grafton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cohen Building (about 400 feet away); Gough Building (about 400 feet away); Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); The First Campaign (about 500 feet away); Merchants & Mechanics Savings Bank (about 500 feet away); Jolliffe Building (about 500 feet away); Brinkman Block (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grafton.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. 3. submitted on August 30, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.