Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Kyle Building

 
 
The Kyle Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 29, 2021
1. The Kyle Building Marker
Inscription.  
Built in 1901 by William Kyle, this false-fronted Italianate commercial structure served as a mercantile store until 1961, the upstairs as a social center.

Restoration began in 1971, culminating in it being placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings ten years later.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 43° 57.988′ N, 124° 6.427′ W. Marker is in Florence, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker is on Bay Street west of Laurel Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1297 Bay Street, Florence OR 97439, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mapleton Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic Old Town (within shouting distance of this marker); Siuslaw River Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Harbor Theater (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Navigating the Siuslaw River (about 300 feet away); Florence: Industrial Beginnings
William Kyle and Sons Building image. Click for more information.
By Larry Gertner
2. William Kyle and Sons Building
National Register of Historic Places: Digital Archive on NPGallery website entry
Click for more information.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Siuslaw River Bridge: Construction & Design (about 400 feet away); Technology Spans (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
Regarding The Kyle Building. Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places inventory-nomination form:
… During its earliest history, the store was used for general merchandising, post office, soda fountain and butcher shop. Its heavy use is attested to by wear created by Cork boots. After its day as a general store, it became a more or less dormant space used for storage. After its purchase from the Erskine estate in 1970, this space was used for the design and manufacture of handprinted wallpapers. …
 
The Kyle Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, June 29, 2021
3. The Kyle Building Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.   2. submitted on October 26, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   3. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=176990

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021