Jackson Township in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Known to the workers as "The Big House"
This stone house, although large and well appointed, is quite modest when compared to what we perceive as a mansion. The workers called it "The Big House," because it was larger and more showy than their simple wooden company houses. The mansion is built in the Georgian style, a popular style at the time. It was erected in 1833 for James Hall, one of the owners and the resident Ironmaster of the Greenwood Iron Works.
There are 14 rooms on the three floors. The first and second floors were the living quarters of the Ironmaster and sometimes the bookkeeper and store clerks. The back of the house has a kitchen on the first floor. A steep winding staircase allowed servants to move from the kitchen to their quarters above the kitchen and in the attic (third floor) of the main house.
In 1906, the mansion became the home of the local forest ranger, and later the nursery superintendent. Today, it is one of eight surviving furnace-era buildings in the park.
An Ironmaster owned the iron works and the surrounding village, and
Erected by Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
Location. 40° 39.098′ N, 77° 45.033′ W. Marker is in Jackson Township, Pennsylvania, in Huntingdon County. Marker is on Greenwood Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15795 Greenwood Rd, Huntingdon PA 16652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Company Store (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodist Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Greenwood Furnace (about 700 feet away); Basic Ingredients (about 800 feet away); The Worker’s Pyramid (about 800 feet away); From Mineral To Metal (approx. 0.2 miles away); An Undeniable Presence (approx. 0.2 miles away); An Industry in Ruins (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson Township.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.