Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beaver in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Big Industry Brings Progress 1901-1917

 
 
Big Industry Brings Progress 1901-1917 Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, July 3, 2021
1. Big Industry Brings Progress 1901-1917 Marker
Inscription.  Just after the turn of the century, large industries recognized the advantages of locating within the county, and began moving here. Some, like the steel companies, chose plots of ground along the Ohio River and began building not only their massive plants, but whole communities for their own workers, many of whom were new immigrants. This made Beaver County a melting pot of nationalities. Steel wasn't the only industry; other plants were built that produced things like porcelain enamel products, glass, and boilers, among other things, firmly establishing Beaver County as a manufacturing center of national importance.

Transportation became even more important when the big steel companies turned their eyes toward the Ohio River in order to move large quantities of raw materials and finished products. In order to help make river navigation more reliable, the U.S. government built the Merrill Lock and Dam in nearby Industry. Also, recognizing the need for handling more freight and passengers, the P&LE Railroad expanded to a four-track system and built the largest cantilever type bridge in the world between Monaca and Beaver. The automobile

Big Industry Brings Progress 1901-1917 Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, July 3, 2021
2. Big Industry Brings Progress 1901-1917 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
also made its appearance, with nearly 22 registered in Beaver County.

1901
Ingram-Richardson Company, a leading manufacturer of porcelain enamel products, was founded in Beaver Falls.

June 5, 1901
Colonial Steel Company announced that it would begin building a plant in Colonna, now a part of present-day Monaca.

1902
Armstrong Industries opened a plant in Beaver Falls to produce clay-bounded cork products.

June 28, 1902
H. C. Fry Glass Company was founded in Rochester by Henry Clay Fry and became a world renowned producer of glass

1903
American Bridge Company, a division of U.S. Steel Corporation, opened in Ambridge.

Carnegie Free Library was built on 7th Avenue in Beaver Falls, becoming the first public library building in the county.

December 13, 1903
The Harmony Society officially dissolved with two members remaining.

August 1904
Merrill Lock & Dam #6 was opened on the Ohio River west of present Vanport. Named after Colonel William E. Merrill then head of the Army Corps of Engineers.

1904
Babcock and Wilcox purchased the Pittsburgh Seamless Tube Company of Beaver Falls, a small manufacturer of bicycle tubing.

1905/1906
The first blast furnace and other facilities of the Midland Steel Company were built in Midland.

1907
The Koppel Steel Company

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
was established above the Beaver River in Big Beaver Township to build special types of small push cars.

December 1, 1909
Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation's Aliquippa Works produced its first batch of iron.

1910
The Pittsburgh & Lake Erie RR built a new bridge over the Ohio River between Monaca and Beaver. It was the largest cantilever type bridge in the world.

April 29, 1911
The first porcelain enamel kitchen range in the U.S. was produced at Ingram-Richardson Manufacturing in Beaver Falls.

1914
Moltrup Steel Corporation, producers of fine quality cold finish steel, was founded in Beaver Falls.

1916
Beaver Falls native Thomas Midgeley created tetraethyl lead or leaded gasoline to reduce engine knock and save gasoline.

April 6, 1917
The United States entered WWI.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is April 29, 1911.
 
Location. 40° 41.887′ N, 80° 17.829′ W. Marker is in Beaver, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is on East End Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver PA 15009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War I to World War II 1918-1945 (here, next to this marker); Industry Flourishes 1861-1880 (here, next to this marker); County Growth Continues 1881-1900

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(here, next to this marker); Properties On The National Register of Historic Places (a few steps from this marker); Transportation (a few steps from this marker); Beaver County Is Born 1800-1814 (a few steps from this marker); Beaver County National Firsts (a few steps from this marker); Beaver County Firsts (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaver.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177001

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2022