American House Hotel
On this corner from 1830 to 1954 stood the American House Hotel.
From 1830 on, the American House Hotel was a well-known and popular stop along the Cleveland-Columbus Road. Visitors could find a comfortable room on the second, or, eventually , the third floor. After a meal, the bar room beckoned or one could visit the stone-walled wine cellar below the bar which was supported by hand-hewn beams as thick as a man's waist. The hotel was host to all manner of guests including presidential candidates and celebrities like Spanky McFarland of the Our Gang / Little Rascals movie fame. The local post office and joe Reno's barber shop could be found beside the lobby. The hotel served the community as a site for may village functions and social events. Purchased by the Savings Deposit Bank in 1952, the decision was made to convert the lot to parking spaces and the grand old building was razed in 1954. (Source: historical Highlights of Medina, 1966, and its attendant references)
More photos and information about the hotel and the Bicentennial Commons can be found inside the adjacent facilities. Both displays funded by Murray
Erected by Murray and Susan Van Epp.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. 41° 8.365′ N, 81° 51.833′ W. Marker is in Medina, Ohio, in Medina County. Marker is on North Court Street (U.S. 42) just north of Public Square (Ohio Route 3/18), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 N Court St, Medina OH 44256, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Court House and Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II 57 Millimeter Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); First Site of the A. I. Root Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Medina County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); First Congregational Church of Medina (about 400 feet away); The Court House (about 500 feet away); Donald J. Pease (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medina.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 272 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 3. submitted on July 13, 2021, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.