Newport in Lincoln County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Protecting the Coast
(top left): The Coast Guard ship "Victory" and rescue helicopter at sea near Newport, ca. 1960.
(center left): USLSS demonstration on Bay Boulevard (then Front Street) ca. 1898.
(bottom left): USLSS launching from the South Beach station, ca. 1905.
(top right): Yaquina Bay Lighthouse and USLSS station, ca. 1915.
(bottom right): A barn, woodshed, bunk house, utility building, and boat house were grouped around the station at South Beach, ca. 1906.
Erected by Port of Newport.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 44° 37.185′ N, 124° 3.192′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2320 SE Marine Science Drive, Newport OR 97365, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reeling Them In (here, next to this marker); South of the Bay (here, next to this marker); Shipping News (a few steps from this marker); Bridging the Waters (a few steps from this marker); Bayfront Beginnings (a few steps from this marker); United States Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat CG 36503 (approx. half a mile away); Yaquina Bay Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Yaquina Bay Light (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.