Near Sealy in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Millheim Harmonie Verein
German immigrants arriving in Texas during the 1840s soon established singing societies in their new communities to carry on the traditions of their homeland. Although in existence by 1856, the Millheim Harmonie Verein officially organized in 1873. The first minutes of the group show that the first elected officers were E.G. Maetze, president; W. Mersmann, vice president; C. Schneider, treasurer; and S. Engelking, secretary. Early meetings were held monthly, and membership fees were $5.00 per year.
A social hall was built in 1874 on two acres purchased from F. Engelking, Sr. and Heinrich Vornkahl. The original Harmonie Hall served the members of the Verein and the residents of the Millheim community for many years. It was the location of political rallies, elections, family gatherings and school programs. The annual Father’s Day Barbecue, which is still held today, was begun in the first Harmonie Hall. A new hall was constructed in 1938 on property donated to the Verein by Otto and Dora Severin. The old hall was dismantled and usable lumber was used in the construction of the new hall. Members attended the first dance in the
The centennial of the Millheim Harmonie Verein was celebrated in 1972, and the 125th anniversary of the Verein was celebrated at the annual Father's Day Barbecue on June 15, 1997. As a gathering place for entertainment, education, recreation and celebration, the Millheim Harmonie Verein has played an important role in the life of the surrounding community and its citizens.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15887.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical date for this entry is April 15, 1939.
Location. 29° 52.521′ N, 96° 15.311′ W. Marker is near Sealy, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 949, 0.8 miles east of Farm to Market Road 2429, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located at the entrance to the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4460 FM 949, Sealy TX 77474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cumings Family Vault (approx. 4.1 miles away); Bellville Concordia (approx. 4.3 miles away); L.A. and Adelheid Machemehl House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Michael Robert Pilley (approx. 4.8 miles away); Oak Knoll Cemetery Joachim H. Hintz (approx. 4.9 miles away); Bellville Turnverein Pavilion (approx. 4.9 miles away); Early History of Bellville Methodist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 12, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.