Perry in Taylor County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Perry Army Air Base
The Perry Army Air Base of World War II stood in an 862 acre area south and west of this point.
The 441st and 312th Fighter Squadrons of the Third Army Air Force trained replacement pilots for combat units worldwide.
The 338th Fighter Group single engine aircraft included the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, and North American P-51 Mustang.
The first troops arrived on June 9, 1943, and last departed in early September, 1945. Approximately 120 pilots per month received their final training here before overseas duty. Their service contributed to the successful conclusion of the war and was possible through dedicated support of both civilian and military permanent party personnel.
In spite of a frequently commended safety training program, more than a score of trainees lost their lives to flying mishaps here.
William Jaques (Sgt.), an Armorer of C Flight, 441st Fighter Squadron, in a diary kept during his 27 months of service here, paid this tribute: "Remembering the young airmen who died at Perry Army Air Field, June 1943 to September 1945... they died in the air, in the
Florida Heritage Site
Erected 1998 by Taylor County Historical Society and Florida Department of State, Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-380.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • War, World II.
Location. 30° 4.901′ N, 83° 34.021′ W. Marker is in Perry, Florida, in Taylor County. Marker is on South Perry Byron Parkway (U.S. 19), on the right when traveling south. Just outside the Forest Capital State Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perry FL 32348, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jerkins High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hampton Springs Hotel (approx. 5˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,750 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2009, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. 4. submitted on May 16, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.