Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
White Lake in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Patrick Church

 
 
St. Patrick Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
1. St. Patrick Church Marker
Inscription.  This white clapboard edifice was built by Irish immigrants in 1840. It is believed to be the oldest existing frame Catholic church building in the Lower Peninsula. This area was one of the earliest in Michigan to be settled by Irish immigrants who arrived during the 1830s. The parish was organized in 1839 with about thirty members. Their numbers increased when the potato famine of 1845 in Ireland forced thousands of others to the United States. Having outgrown this tiny structure by the 1880s, the congregation travelled to Pontiac, Milford, and other areas until approximately 1950, when a permanent parish was established here in Union Lake. Maintaining its original floors, walls, and windows, this edifice is still used for ceremonial purposes. Today, the surrounding neighborhood is known as the “Dublin” area.
 
Erected 1978 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L518.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
 
Location.
St. Patrick Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
2. St. Patrick Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
42° 37.793′ N, 83° 27.704′ W. Marker is in White Lake, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Lake Road and Hutchins Road, on the right when traveling north on Union Lake Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9086 Hutchins Rd, White Lake MI 48386, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hathaway-Hess Farm (approx. one mile away); Kelley-Fisk Farm (approx. 1.9 miles away); Four Towns Methodist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Commerce Village Burying Ground (approx. 2.7 miles away); Commerce United Methodist Congregation / Commerce United Methodist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Commerce Roller Mill (approx. 2.9 miles away); White Lake Township Hall (approx. 2.9 miles away); Westacres (approx. 3.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  History of St. Patrick. (Submitted on July 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
 
Original edifice noted on marker. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
3. Original edifice noted on marker.
St. Patrick Church Cemetery located next to marker. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
4. St. Patrick Church Cemetery located next to marker.
St. Patrick image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 13, 2021
5. St. Patrick
Patron saint of this church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177216

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 1, 2021