Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Battle Creek in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Philip Roman Catholic Church

 
 
St. Philip Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
1. St. Philip Roman Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  The Quaker meetinghouse on this site was purchased at auction by local Catholics in 1863. St. Philip Roman Catholic Church has been on this corner since then. Its first school opened in 1880. The current Romanesque building, dedicated in 1930 after the previous church was destroyed by fire in 1928, was designed by local architect Adelbert B. Chanel. It is St. Philip’s fifth church to stand at this location
 
Erected 2012 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2240.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. 42° 19.266′ N, 85° 10.762′ W. Marker is in Battle Creek, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Capital Avenue Northeast and West Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling north on Capital Avenue Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 126 Capital Ave NE, Battle Creek MI 49017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
St. Philip Roman Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
2. St. Philip Roman Catholic Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. St. Thomas Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Willard Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Independent Congregational Church (about 500 feet away); Michigan Central Depot (about 600 feet away); Ward Mill Site / Ward Building Site (about 700 feet away); Battle Creek House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kimball House Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Erastus Hussey: Stationmaster / "Working for Humanity" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Battle Creek.
 
St. Philip Roman Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
3. St. Philip Roman Catholic Church
St. Thomas Episcopal Church in background
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177273

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2022