Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Battle Creek in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Battle Creek House

 
 
Battle Creek House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
1. Battle Creek House Marker
Inscription.  The Battle Creek House, a stagecoach stop and the social and political hub of the settlement from 1836 to 1866, stood here. The balconied three-story inn was destroyed by a fire late in the 1860’s. In 1870 Daniel Reily put up a “solid brick” building housing stores, offices, and, from 1903 to 1931, the Central National Bank. It was known as the C. E. Thomas Block between 1892 and 1956. Remodeling by Peoples Savings and Loan Association in 1957 left the basic structure unchanged.
 
Erected 1959 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L0008.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 42° 19.165′ N, 85° 10.948′ W. Marker is in Battle Creek, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Capital Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling west on Michigan Avenue. Marker is at the entrance to the Keller Williams Realty - Mitten
Battle Creek House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, July 12, 2021
2. Battle Creek House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Homes Group building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Michigan Ave W, Battle Creek MI 49017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cereal Bowl of America (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ward Mill Site / Ward Building Site (about 400 feet away); Erastus Hussey: Stationmaster / "Working for Humanity" (about 500 feet away); LaSalle Hotel (about 600 feet away); Michigan Central Depot (about 600 feet away); Del Shannon / Runaway (about 700 feet away); The Log Schoolhouse (about 700 feet away); Willard Library (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Battle Creek.
 
More about this marker. Of note, this marker is #8 in the Michigan marker program dating from 1959.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177277

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 4, 2022