Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abercrombie in Richland County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Cannon Bastion

 
 
Cannon Bastion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, June 14, 2021
1. Cannon Bastion Marker
Inscription.  The reconstructed cannon bastion in front of you shows what the fortifications at Fort Abercrombie might have looked like during the siege in 1862. Prior to the siege, defensive fortifications around Fort Abercrombie simply did not exist.

This image from Harper's New Monthly Magazine shows Fort Abercrombie as looked in 1860. Notice that there are no walls or blockhouses to protect the fort. In 1862, when troops stationed at Fort Abercrombie got word of the attacks by Dakota warriors on settlements in Minnesota, they quickly set to work constructing a cordwood stockade around the perimeter of the fort.

Albert M. Wright was a 14-year-old boy who fled to Fort Abercrombie with his family during the time of the siege. He described the appearance of the fort with its cordwood stockade.

Fort Abercrombie at this time, was a Fort only in name, it consisted of a lot of buildings built around a square, no fortifications, and the only thing in the shape of defence was a breast-work of Cordwood built around the flag staff which stood in the center of the square, inside of which were placed three, twelve

Cannon Bastion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Connor Olson, June 14, 2021
2. Cannon Bastion Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
pound, Howitzers, the only guns the Fort contained.

-Albert M. Wright

This hand-drawn map of Fort Abercrombie shows the cordwood stockade and cannon bastions as they looked in 1862. The howitzers in the cannon bastions played a major role in driving off attacks on the fort in September 1862.

This sketch from December 1862 shows the cordwood stockade in the foreground. By late February 1863, the cordwood stockade and cannon bastions had been replaced by palisade walls and blockhouses.
 
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1862.
 
Location. 46° 26.72′ N, 96° 43.041′ W. Marker is in Abercrombie, North Dakota, in Richland County. Marker can be reached from Broadway North (County Highway 4) south of Abercrombie Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 935 Broadway North, Abercrombie ND 58001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carpenter Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferry Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Quartermaster Storehouse (within shouting

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
distance of this marker); Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Commissary Storehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Abercrombie (about 400 feet away); Hospital / Lieutenant’s Quarters (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abercrombie.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2021, by Connor Olson of Lemmon, South Dakota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177318

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 28, 2021