Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Champlain in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pliny Moore House

 
 
Pliny Moore House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, July 12, 2021
1. Pliny Moore House Marker
Inscription.  In 1789, Revolutionary War veteran Pliny Moore (1759-1822) settled Champlain after being awarded land by the State of New York. In 1801 he built a Federal-style frame house similar to the one standing today. Moore was the first judge and postmaster of the town. During the War of 1812, the border became a revolving door for the American and British armies and militias. Moore's house played a key role in the military events and he actively communicated with commanders on both sides on the conflict.

In November of 1812, American general Henry Dearborn used Moore's house as his headquarters when his army camped nearby on their way to Lacolle, Quebec. In a letter written a few months later, Moore described the situation at his house in the autumn: " my house was like a large hotel all the principle Officers of the Army were in it...." In October of 1813, British Major J. Perreault threatened Moore and the village inhabitants after an attack at the border. His troops later pillaged the village. In June 1814, Colonel Benjamin Forsyth was killed on the road to Lacolle, Quebec (NY Route 276). Two months later, his death was avenged by the ambush

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of British Captain St. Valier Mailloux (Mahew) who had commanded the militia and Indians who killed Forsyth. Mailloux died in the basement of Moore's house. In the spring of 1814, prisoners-of-war negotiations took place here and at Elias Dewey's house (Dewey's Tavern)
 
Erected by Champlain Valley National Heritage Partnership.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812. A significant historical year for this entry is 1789.
 
Location. 44° 59.208′ N, 73° 26.7′ W. Marker is in Champlain, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on Elm Street near Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 196 Elm Street, Champlain NY 12919, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First School (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary's Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Burying Yard (approx. ¼ mile away); Jehudi Ashmun (approx. half a mile away); Site of Delaware and Hudson Railroad Station (approx. 3.7 miles away); Site of First School House (approx. 3.9 miles away); Ezra Thurber’s Home (approx. 4 miles away); David Mayo's Sail Ferry (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Champlain.
 
Pliny Moore House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Robert Rusaw, July 12, 2021
2. Pliny Moore House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2021, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2021, by Robert Rusaw of Massena, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177320

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024