Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Kent in New Kent County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Kent Courthouse

 
 
New Kent Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 28, 2009
1. New Kent Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Lord Cornwallis's army was here, moving eastward, June 22, 1781; Lafayette, in pursuit, June 25; Washington, Rochambeau and Chastellux, on their way to Yorktown, September 14, 1781. A part of Joseph E. Johnston's army, retiring to Richmond, passed through, May, 1862.
 
Erected 1942 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number WO-16.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the The Washington-Rochambeau Route, the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, and the Washington’s Burgess Routes series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1781.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 37° 31.069′ N, 76° 58.697′ W. Marker was in New Kent, Virginia, in New Kent County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of New Kent Highway and Courthouse Circle. The marker is located on the lawn in front of the New Kent County
New Kent County Courthouse built 1909. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 28, 2009
2. New Kent County Courthouse built 1909.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: New Kent VA 23124, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Confederate Memorial (here, next to this marker); James Lafayette (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named New Kent Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Samuel Wilson Crump (1919-1995) (a few steps from this marker); Martha Washington's Birthplace (within shouting distance of this marker); John Parke Custis / Martha Dandridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to New Kent (within shouting distance of this marker); A Tale of Three Structures (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Kent.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced with the linked marker.
 
Also see . . .  New Kent net. New Kent County Virginia History. (Submitted on April 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
The Old Tavern at New Kent Courthouse (circa 1700). image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 28, 2009
3. The Old Tavern at New Kent Courthouse (circa 1700).
The tavern was used as a communications headquarters by the Union Army while it was based on the Pamunkey River, first at Cumberland and later at White House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,169 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=17738

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 27, 2021